Forums  

Go Back   Forums > THE PLOT - Ballyhay Books > Ballyhay Books - Paperback > Bangor in the Sixties/Bangor in the Seventies

Old 13-08-2010
Bookworm

messy_jasmine is on a distinguished road
Default Bangor in the Sixties

A friend of mine got this book for Christmas last year and we both spent ages looking at the pictures of Bangor 50 years ago. What a trip down memory lane! I like the way there are memories of well known Bangorians interspersed throughout, it makes a very interesting read.

Plenty of memories too - who could forget the grand Tonic Cinema or down at Pickie in the summer

A great read if you're from Bangor
Old 16-08-2010
Admin

CPCarolyn is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for the review, messy_jasmine. I think it became a bit of an odyssey for the author, Terence, not to mention a trip down memory lane.

It's certainly been one of our most popular books since it was published last autumn, and copies have gone far and wide - Bangorians seem to be everywhere!
Old 18-08-2010
Bookworm

I'm not surprised the book has done well, anyone who has lived in Bangor would find it interesting. My younger brother (not born in the 60s) really enjoyed seeing how Bangor looked 50 years ago, and spotting what had changed (or not, as the case may be!).
Old 08-03-2011
Book Lover

Bangorian is on a distinguished road
Default Another Bangor book?

Hi! There's been some talk around Bangor in recent months that a second Bangor book, maybe a sequel to the first (??), is in the offing. Can you tell me if this is true and if there's a chance it will be out in time for Christmas? I know copies of the Sixties book have found their way to places around the world where Bangor folk have settled and I should imagine another will be just as popular. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011
Admin

Hi there Bangorian, and welcome to the forums!

We were delighted with the number of books which found their way to foreign shores.

I couldn't possibly comment on the appearance of a second Bangor book, but the rumour might not be that far from the truth...

I was speaking to Terence not that long ago, and I do know since his retirement from the day job that he has been spotted in and out of the Spectator offices...
Old 09-03-2011
Bookworm

How wonderful if the rumour turns out to be true - I await that one with interest (and could see my brother getting one for Christmas, if it's out before then!)
Old 09-03-2011
Book Lover

TerenceBowman is on a distinguished road
Default Bangor in the Seventies

Hi there folks!
I suppose I'm the only one who really knows the answer to the question! So, yes, I am indeed presently working on a sequel to "Bangor in the Sixties" - imaginitively entitled "Bangor in the Seventies"!! Obviously the ultimate decision on whether the new material passes muster will lie with the publisher, but my intention is that it should follow the same template as its Sixties predecessor, with a chronology running from January 1970 to December 1979, a substantially larger selection of long-forgotten photographs, a new group of contributors and the observations of reporters who began their illustrious careers with the "County Down Spectator" (the role of which has been vital to the success to date of this venture).
I would certainly like to see a publishing schedule that at the very least matches the first book, albeit two years on. So Christmas 2011 is, hopefully, a very real possibility.
As they say, watch this space!!
Terence Bowman
Old 11-03-2011
Book Lover

Bangorian is on a distinguished road

Hi again! That's great news. I should imagine if this all does come to pass then quite a few people will have their Christmas present worries resolved!!
Old 15-03-2011
Admin

So Terence, are there any juicy bits so far that your research has uncovered?
Old 20-03-2011
Book Lover

TerenceBowman is on a distinguished road
Default Bangor in the Seventies under wraps

Hi Carolyn. Sorry for the delay in responding. I've set myself the target of completing a read-through of all the Co Down Spectators from the 1970s - that's over 520 of them! - by the end of March and I'm nearly there but it is time-consuming. It's also fascinating, as anyone who has ever tried to locate a story in an old newspaper file will tell you. You just keep finding something else that jogs the memory or takes you off in a different direction. It's all of interest to me, so expect plenty of variety in the chronology this time around, as well as an extensive selection of photographs from the 1970s.
For the time-being I'd like to keep much of the content, and indeed the names of the contributors, under wraps. A good number of people have agreed to take part but sometimes actually coming up with a special memory can be a problem so I don't want to put people on the spot by saying they are going to contribute when, for one reason or another, they might have to withdraw at a later date.
There will be no avoiding the impact of the Troubles on the Bangor area, but there will also be plenty of other stories covering a wide range of interests, including local societies and sports (not just soccer and rugby!).
On a lighter note, no fewer than three of the contributors got into a debate about the date of a Bay City Rollers concert in Bangor's Tonic Cinema. For the record it was in September 1976 - and you can expect a first-hand report from one of the screaming girls who was there! That good enough for you?
Terence