Forums  

Go Back   Forums > THE NARRATIVE - General/Non Laurel Cottage books discussion > Non Laurel Cottage Fiction

Old 10-02-2011
Admin

CPCarolyn is on a distinguished road
Default William Boyd

One of my Christmas presents was William Boyd's Ordinary Thunderstorms. He's a previous winner of a Richard and Judy award, and wow! How on earth have I not come across this author before?!

The main character is a guy called Adam Kindred and he comes from the States for an interview for a fellowship at the Imperial College, London when a chance encounter with a stranger leads to him losing everything - his identity, his job, his financial security, his life basically.

The storytelling itself is absolutely masterful and I would put Ordinary Thunderstorms right up there with the best of Jodi Picoult and John Grisham that I've read. The way in which Boyd dovetails everything together and how the characters are so cleverly interwoven is just brilliant, and he has a knack of virtually all his characters appealing in some way to the reader.

I don't want to say too much to give anything away, but this thriller is an absolutely brilliant read. Get yourself a copy!

5* easily.
Old 14-02-2011
Bookworm

vickietots is on a distinguished road

Ooh! Adding to my list to read! Sounds great!
Old 14-02-2011
Admin

Yes, seeing the sorts of books you read, I think you'd really enjoy this one, Vicks. It was given to me by an avid reader who has raved about W.B. to my mum, but he wasn't someone I'd heard of at all.

I'm keeping an eye out for his other titles - of which I believe there are another couple.
Old 14-02-2011
Bookworm

messy_jasmine is on a distinguished road

I read Ordinary Thunderstorms recently too and I really enjoyed it, so much so that the night I finished reading it, I dreamt about how I would communicate with my family if I had to "disappear" from life as I know it.

His immediate problems are not using his cash card nor his mobile phone, and once those hurdles are overcome, he effectively becomes invisible - a thought provoking concept in this day and age, but one which, if the statistics quoted by W.B are in any way correct, is a way of life for a large number of people in the capital.

It also makes you think about how many people you pass in your daily life have a life that's not all as it seems, from the ex-solider who now has a role in a shady security firm to the illegal immigrant who takes on a new identity thanks to a deceased person's passport...

It really was an excellent read
Old 14-02-2011
Bookworm

Well I have made a note of it. Might even purchase it as a holiday read. It really does sound like my sort of book!
Old 24-02-2011
Bookworm

Well I have purchased Ordinary Thunderstorms as one of my holiday reads. So will let you know how I get on when I get back!
Old 01-03-2011
Admin

Brilliant, can't wait to hear what you think of it! Enjoy it and your holiday
Old 24-03-2011
Bookworm

Right my review of the book!

I thought the book captured perfectly what it must be like in the modern world to disappear off the radar and still survive. The main character really adapted quickly to his circumstances, even more amazing as he is someone like most of us, used to money, technology, sanitation etc. But I can imagine that when your life is under threat you can regress to that primal urge to stay alive. My only issue with the book was the beginning bit, I wasn't quite sure that you would have reacted in that manner to the situation he found himself in, but then there would have been no book to write off! Then there was the ending. A little bit unfinished in my mind, but then thats probably just me as I know in films and books I like a rounded ending with everything all wrapped up!

Apart from that it was a good read and I certainly enjoyed it!