Forums  

Go Back   Forums > THE NARRATIVE - General/Non Laurel Cottage books discussion > Non Laurel Cottage Fiction

Old 01-12-2010
Bookworm

messy_jasmine is on a distinguished road
Default The Snowman by Jo Nesbo

I'm currently reading The Snowman by Jo Nesbo. I picked it up in the airport after seeing the sticker on the front which professed the author to be the new Stieg Larsson.

It is similar in that both authors set their stories in Sweden, and I think Jo Nesbo is perhaps slightly more accessible. I'm certainly whizzing through it at every opportunity I can get. The author blurb suggests he has a number of other titles, so I'll be looking out for those without a doubt.

Now for the synopsis.
The Snowman refers to a call sign left by a killer who is praying on women - when the first snow of the season comes, the potential victim looks out the window and sees a snowman, which usually is facing in to the house and not out towards the road (I hadn't thought of that, but it's true, you don't really see snowmen facing in to the house!).

I'm as far as the stage where it has become a game between the killer and the ring-weary detective who is on his tail.

As I said above, it's very engaging, not to mention a little bit chilling and I'm very much enjoying it. Could be on for a good few stars if it continues to its conclusion the way it has progressed up to now.
Old 01-12-2010
Bookworm

vickietots is on a distinguished road

Not read The Snowman, but have read The Redbreast, Nemesis, The Devil's Star and The Redeemer which I enjoyed. I like the main character, Harry Hole. I read these before I read Stieg Larsson and can see the comparison. Both are dark in nature and keep you guessing. Sounds like I will have to give The Snowman a go.
Old 01-12-2010
Admin

CPCarolyn is on a distinguished road

Wow, so his stuff is actually quite well known then? I'm also reading this at the moment, and was quite surprised when I read the blurb and it said Nesbo had written numerous other books.

So it's a bit like the Lee Child novels then in that there is a main character who appears across all of them?

I'll have to keep an eye out for his other titles, I'd certainly be interested in giving them a go
Old 03-12-2010
Bookworm

messy_jasmine is on a distinguished road

The more I read of The Snowman, the more I like Harry Hole, the protagonist. He's a very good flawed hero - I've just read past the bit where he goes on a bender after they supposedly solve the case. Almost found myself groaning and saying Nooooooo! out loud
Old 06-12-2010
Admin

I finished this over the weekend and it just got better and better - the twists and turns right up to the end were really very good.

One thing I struggled with a little were the Swedish names - I kept forgetting whether so-and-so was a goodie or a baddie, my bad!
Old 07-12-2010
Book Lover

copelander is on a distinguished road

I, too, have just recently finished reading this and enjoyed it. Will be looking out for more by this author. Thanks for the titles, Vickietots.
Old 08-12-2010
Admin

Looks like Jo Nesbo titles could be appearing in a few Christmas stockings this year!
Old 22-12-2010
Bookworm

Good I am glad that you enjoyed it! I too struggle with the Swedish names! I tend to do it based on letter recognition rather than trying to pronounce them. Sort of recognise the letters and who it is and if they are bad or good!
Old 04-01-2011
Admin

It's quite odd when so many of the characters are so very obviously Swedish, and then the main character has a name like Harry Hole

I was also very impressed by the translation - there were a couple of rhymes which were perfect in English, and I always wonder how the translator manages to do it so well from the original language (this always fascinates me from a linguistic point of view).
Old 17-01-2011
Bookworm

I know! I never understood how he got his name Harry Hole!! It is so English!!