Forums  

Go Back   Forums > THE NARRATIVE - General/Non Laurel Cottage books discussion > Non Laurel Cottage Fiction

Old 28-01-2011
Bookworm

vickietots is on a distinguished road
Default Lynda La Plante

I am currently reading Blind Fury by Lynda La Plante. Only a couple of chapters in so it might grow on me, but at the moment I am not sure?

I have never read any of her books before, but have seen TV series based on her books (so Prime Suspect and the latest Anna Travis series - Red Dahlia and Deadly Intent), this book is one of the Anna Travis books. Her writing style is quite basic, the conversations between characters doesn't seem to flow, also I like descriptive writing, but sometimes she describes the most banal stuff.

Anyway the book is about Anna Travis who is a Police Detective and there have been some murders of women who have been left by a motorway. This leads them to suspect that they are dealing with a serial killer. At the start of the investigation Anna gets contacted by another murderer who professes to have information about the serial killer. So its a bit Hannibal Lector, you get the impression reading that he is a little bit creepy and so should she trust him or does he just want to see her again etc etc.

I continue with it as I don't like to give up on a book and give my proper opinion on it once I am finished.
Old 10-02-2011
Admin

CPCarolyn is on a distinguished road

How are you getting on with this?

Must admit, it's a name that is widely known, but she's never really crossed my radar as someone I'd like to read. I don't even have a good reason for overlooking her
Old 14-02-2011
Bookworm

vickietots is on a distinguished road

Well I finished this book last night. Not my quickest read, so it wasn't grabbing me. It was an ok read, very predictable though. Not much of a story, settled on a suspect fairly early and then just lots of dragging out of the inevitable. No twists and even what I am assuming was the twist at that end I had predicted. Ultimately it will be another franchise like Prime Suspect - a woman in a man's world who is only interested in a career and nothing else.

I wouldn't recommend at all especially as it was 500 pages and could have ended much sooner!! So keep overlooking!