Forums  

Go Back   Forums > THE NARRATIVE - General/Non Laurel Cottage books discussion > Non Laurel Cottage Fiction

Old 01-12-2010
Bookworm

vickietots is on a distinguished road
Default Been Absent

I have not been around as I have actually not read any books at all for the last few months!!!! This is not unlike me as my reading tends to come in stages and is most active when I am on holiday where I can fly through books. I am not normally a great reader just before bed either (don't need any relaxing I just go straight to sleep).

But never fear I have just started reading a book. A David Baldacci book. I do enjoy his work and they are normally an easy read. Although the last one of his I read I was disappointed with the ending! It was a huge book and was going great and then it was like he realised that he needed to finish it and so rushed the ending and tied up all the loose ends too quickly! I hope this book is not like that too!
Old 01-12-2010
Admin

CPCarolyn is on a distinguished road

Hiya Vicks, good to see you back. I know what it's like - the days seem to be going at warp speed at the moment!

David Baldacci isn't a name I'm familiar with, is he a UK writer?

It's disappointing when a book ends like that, I've read a few like that too and it's quite a feeling of anticlimax - especially when the rest of the book has been so good! Fingers crossed his latest offering won't let you down
Old 22-12-2010
Bookworm

Finally finished the book! I enjoyed it. Maybe a little bit quick to the end, but not as bad as the other one and a little bit more logic as to why they came to a conclusion. It was called the First Family and involved a story with some recurring ex-Secret Service members and the President's wife. Anyway recommend it.

He is a US writer, mainly Secret Service based characters. Easy read, not too much thought needed.
Old 04-01-2011
Admin

Is he anything similar to the Lee Childs books that you're also a fan of?
Old 17-01-2011
Bookworm

Hmmm, I am not sure you know. Lee Childs is normally much more complex, not always easy to see who is involved or where it is going. David Baldacci is easier to work out. Normally the government hiding something, can see where it is going, know who all the main players are, even if you don't see why they are involved or doing what they are doing until towards the end. If I had to chose between the authors then Lee Childs would be my 1st choice.
Old 19-01-2011
Admin

I've now started noticing Lee Child books when I'm in bookshops, and once I've worked my way through my Christmas backlog, something of his will definitely be high on the list. Is there one in particular I should start with?
Old 19-01-2011
Bookworm

This might help you out

http://www.leechild.com/faqcontact.php#order

I read them in chronological order as the 1st book I saw of his was 'The Enemy' and after reading that I decided I wanted to read more of his. So then went to the 1st book he had written.
Old 15-07-2011
Bookworm

Right! I have been absent again! Nothing much was grabbing me with regards to books! I have a few by the side of the bed that I have acquired mainly from my dad. But I just didn't want to read them! Anyway I have now got the latest Lee Child book, the latest Jo Nesbo book, a new David Baldacci book and then a couple of others that a friend has lent me! So I am all about reading now! My hungry caterpillar bookmark will be getting a work out! I will post up reviews as I finish them!
Old 23-08-2011
Admin

Which Lee Child book did you get stuck into, Vickie? I think I've had a couple of his recent ones - would Nothing to Lose be one of them?

And that goes for the latest Jo Nesbo one too, though I seem to be reading them in a higgeldy piggeldy order, so it's a bit confusing!
Old 12-09-2011
Bookworm

Nothing to Lose is a fairly recent one, a couple of years old I think? The one I have just read was Worth Dying For. Very good! I enjoyed it! Fast paced and kept me hooked! Think I read it in just over a day!

I have just read The Book Thief. Recommend it! Slow start, but very well written from a different perspective. I admit to getting very emotional at the end, which definitely doesn't happen to me with books!!

Not read the Jo Nesbo or David Baldacci book yet, still have those to look forward to. I am about to read a book I got in an offer when I was purchasing a Christening present in Waterstones. Can't remember the name I confess!! But it was recommended, so will give it a go!