Forums  

Go Back   Forums > THE NARRATIVE - General/Non Laurel Cottage books discussion > Non Laurel Cottage Fiction

Old 01-09-2010
Admin

CPCarolyn is on a distinguished road
Default John Grisham

Another title I've bought for my holiday reading is John Grisham's The Brethran. I see it was published back in 2000, but it seems to have slipped under my radar, having read most of his books.

I recently read Ford County which was published in 2009 and was a break from his normal legal fiction (but which was none the worse for it), so I'm looking forward to getting back in to one of his legal thrillers
Old 02-09-2010
Bookworm

messy_jasmine is on a distinguished road

I read his Playing for Pizza a coupl of years ago and thought it was a great book. Very believable characters and typically difficult to put down, nothing less than you'd expect from Grisham.

Also good to see he can do non-legal fiction just as well as the legal stuff too
Old 13-09-2010
Admin

Default John Grisham - Theodore Boone

I picked up JG's Theodore Boone at the airport before I headed off on holiday last week. It was the first book I got stuck into when I settled on my lounger and it didn't take me long to polish it off.

Theodore Boone is a 13 year old who has two lawyer parents too busy to pay him much attention. He has obviously gleaned much from his parents, as many of his classmates come to him with their legal queries - parents divorcing, father becoming bankrupt etc - before he becomes confidante of someone who witnessed a murder in their small town. Question is, what does he do with the information?

I seized on this book in the airport for no other reason than I saw the large John Grisham name punched out on the cover, knowing how much I like his books. It's fairly short - large type and big spacing pads it out a bit - and by JG's standards, a fairly simple book.

I enjoyed the story and plot, but I must say I was left feeling a little deflated by the end. JG spends a lot of time building to the climax, which in turn happens very quickly, and feels as though he's run out of steam a bit and wants to round things up as quickly as he can. There are also a couple of characters (a heavy who appears late on - can't think of his name off hand) who doesn't seem to have much relevance to the story, or Theo's friend April, whom we meet fairly early on where she's in court suffering through her parents' divorce, but who disappears virtually without mention as the book goes on.

Since coming home, I've done a bit of an internet search on the book, and it would appear that it is aimed at both adults and children. The cover (maybe it's just the UK edition cover?) certainly doesn't suggest that it's a children's book, nor was it in the children's section of WHS Stansted, and I'm not sure what age of children JG is aiming at, so for me, the book falls a little between two stools. Having said that, it's a fairly good read, and worth a look if you want to dip your toes into John Grisham's world
Old 15-09-2010
Bookworm

messy_jasmine is on a distinguished road

Have you read Playing for Pizza? How would you say the two compare if you have?
Old 21-09-2010
Admin

It's a while since I've read Playing for Pizza, but I think it was more grown up and better rounded than Theodore Boone.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy Theodore Boone, but just not convinced it's one of his better ones. From memory, I really enjoyed Playing for Pizza and felt it was a well told story, whereas Theodore Boone was just missing a little bit. Just my 2 bob worth
Old 23-09-2010
Book Lover

copelander is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I really enjoyed Playing for Pizza, but that's probably because it was set in Italy (one of my favourite countries ). It made up for the fact that it was too much about American football, about which I know very little. (and probably care even less!)
Old 24-09-2010
Admin

I wouldn't be a huge fan (or any sort of fan really!) on American football either, but I didn't really find it too intrusive - a quick skim over those references before the eyes glazed over, and it was fine!
Old 30-09-2010
Admin

Default The Brethren - John Grisham

Finally an update on The Brethren by JG which I took on holiday a few weeks ago.

The Brethren centres round a low security prison where the inmates are incarcerated for things like fraud and tax evasion, and the main characters in this novel are 3 former judges on the inside and their crooked lawyer on the outside.

They hatch a scam to extract large amounts of money by blackmail, but pick on the wrong guy when they accidently hook a president-elect who has the backing of the CIA...

Typically John Grisham with twists and turns right to the last page which keep you guessing right to the last page. The portrayal of the characters is very clever - although the 4 main protagonists are complete hoods, there is something not unlikeable about them - I found them to be more little old men than complete gangsters, and I felt quite amused by their hoodwinking, and getting one up on the system.

Highly recommended
Old 01-10-2010
Bookworm

vickietots is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. I think that maybe I need to read more John Grisham. I am sure that I have read 1 or 2 of his books, but for some reason I always discount him and I am actually not sure why?? Although it would appear that I can't remember if I have read any of his books, so thats not a good sign! But The Brethren sounds like it could be a good read!
Old 01-10-2010
Admin

They obviously haven't made a great impression on you if you have actually read any of his stuff?!

Playing for Pizza is a good one because it's not really law-inclined, it's just a damn good story, but yes, The Brethren got demolished on holiday, so much so that I was nearly asking the pilot to do a couple of extra laps on the way home just so's I could get it finished!