Forums  

Go Back   Forums > THE NARRATIVE - General/Non Laurel Cottage books discussion > Non Laurel Cottage Fiction

Old 11-08-2010
Admin

CPCarolyn is on a distinguished road
Default Jodi Picoult books

I've read a good number of Jodi Picoult's books now, but having bought Salem Falls last week, I finished it in 2 nights flat - typical cliche but I couldn't put it down.

I read a quote from Jodi Picoult which suggests she doesn't start writing until she has a killer opening line, and that is certainly true of Salem Falls. From the engaging characters to the twists in the plot and the interweaving and interlinking of the various parts, I think this is one of the best of hers that I've read, and I highly recommend Salem Falls for anyone who has enjoyed a JP novel.
Old 15-09-2010
Book Lover

NickyJ is on a distinguished road

I have enjoyed a few of her books, I think the last one I read was Handle With Care which was actually a bit depressing, and one of those books you knew wouldn't have a happy ending whichever way the story went.
Old 15-09-2010
Admin

I found Handle with Care quite difficult too, but I've found that Picoult's more recent books are perhaps grittier than her earlier stuff. I think too that her later stuff is more moralistic and concerned with ethics where previously they were just damn good stories.

I read Plain Truth by JP on holiday last week which I will post a synopsis and thoughts on when I get time a little bit later

Last edited by CPCarolyn; 15-09-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 23-09-2010
Book Lover

copelander is on a distinguished road

Plain Truth. Carolyn, I've just finished it and was enthralled by it. I was torn between not wanting to finish it too quickly and being unable to put it down!
Old 24-09-2010
Admin

Very good, wasn't it, copelander?

I could probably fit in a quick synopsis now.

Plain Truth is set in an Amish community. Amish are by their very nature peaceful and traditional. The story centres round Katie Fisher, an unmarried 18 year old Amish girl who is accused of murdering her newborn infant. Katie's distant relative, Ellie, a lawyer is asked to help with the case, and the story unfolds as we see what happens when worlds at the two extreme ends of the scale collide.

It's one of Jodi Picoult's books that you can't wait to get to the next page to see what happens. JP has written it so superbly that you not only see the world through Amish Katie's eyes, but also the rest of society's, which leaves you as the reader deeply frustrated that each side is so clearly ignorant of the other, and utterly helpless to help Katie survive in a world in which clearly she has no place, or any idea how it works.

Absolutely compelling reading, and a lot of food for thought.